The content of this article or any related information is under the Creative Commons license BY, you can republish this content freely but you must mention the author of this article and indicate the URL of this page: https://www.exabyteinformatica.com/tienda/foro/dns-analysis-and-tools-t1494.html
In this article, we are able to take a look at the complete DNS manner, DNS look up, DNS reverse lookup, DNS zone switch, and many others. Together with some tools to analyze & enumerate DNS traffic.
Area name device (DNS) is a naming device used to convert human readable domain names like infosecinstitute.com into a numerical IP tackle. The procedure works like this: Let’s expect a person varieties infosecinstitute.com in their browser and what you see is indeed the InfoSec institute site. But what occurs behind the scenes is somewhat exciting, like how the request got from my browser to the suitable domain identify?
Neatly, it is the job of the DNS resolver within the conclusion consumer system to fetch the IP handle for the requested area. DNS settings will also be managed in right here approaches in conclusion person gadget.
However how does the request basically change it to infosecinstitute.com? Neatly, the DNS resolver first exams the native cache to see if it incorporates any information for the requested IP. The native DNS cache may also be checked the usage of command:
As you could see on the grounds that in my cache there is already a request logged for http://www.infosecinstitute.com, now for future requests, all the queries to this area can also be fulfilled from local cache until the cache is refreshed and the respective IP is mapped below a list. Now this story looks essential, but how does the cache definitely get stuffed? Sure, you wager it appropriate; it filled after I browse the site, however the 2nd a part of the query remains not answered the way it in fact fetches the web page within the first attempt.
in the first try to browse a domain through area identify, DNS resolver will query the ISP DNS server to seem to be out for statistics, and if it is no longer found there, then a recursive DNS query starts which capability querying DNS servers until the information are discovered. These recursive servers contain their personal native cache through which they're going to look for results. Then if the result continues to be no longer discovered then, the query can be directed to root nameserver from where it should be redirected to the correct level domain(TLD) name servers. TLD nameserver reads the request from right to left and directs the query to TLD nameserver similar to .com TLD. Then .com TLD appears out for next part of request like infosecinstitute.com and question will be redirected to authoritative nameserver which obviously has the tips. For IP handle, the suggestions is a listing. Bear in mind request continues to be from the recursive nameserver, so the record is retrieved and stored in the local cache of the nameserver. This reply is further back to conclusion person laptop and is saved in local cache.
Below are some crucial checklist types which can very smartly tell us the character of NDS request. One of the vital listing forms are:
• A listing: Defines a number tackle
• NS list: Authoritative Nameserver
• MX checklist: Mail trade
As an example, beneath we are using nslookup on infosecinstitute.com
Right here we now have set type=a and type=ns to monitor A record and NS checklist. We will see that ns1.pairnic.com is an authoritative identify server for infosecinstitute.com. Despite the fact, we will see under that the use of device like dnsEnum this all advice may also be retrieved by default.
For an entire checklist of the class of records, see here.
• Ahead search for: Above procedure this is we have outlined is also known as forward look up. Take a look at beneath screenshot
A really primary illustration is to make use of nslookup on google.com, and then IP address is displayed.
Under is an extra illustration of nslookup on infosecinstitute.com which with the usage of class A & NS.
• Reverse search for: As its name suggests, reverse search for is a decision of area identify from IP handle. For ipv4 address, reverse DNS lookups uses special area in-addr.arpa for any question and is appended to the IP handle for performing a reverse lookup. The cause to use a selected area in-addr.arpa for reverse look up is because how DNS structure is built and for reverse DNS if that constitution is adopted then it'll take too long. This IP tackle is then examine or with some tools mentioned in reverse order as an example if we must operate a reverse lookup for 22.214.171.124 then we deserve to search for 126.96.36.199
For instance, beneath we're doing a reverse nslookup on one in every of Google servers. As you could see that tackle is reversed and in-addr.arpa is appended
Beneath is an instance of reverse search for InfoSec institute.
Feels like we cannot function reverse look up on infosecinstitute.com domain
As we recognize, Kali distro is primarily assembled for pen testers and have some truly cool equipment purchasable to do pen-look at various in precisely a couple of clicks. For DNS analysis additionally it has some superb tools. Under are one of the crucial equipment that may also be used for DNS guidance gathering.
As we are able to see, we get all the suggestions for InfoSec institute instantly from dnsEnum device which having to specify the listing category that we have been doing in nslookup. We will see Host IP handle, Nameservers, Mail Servers, and many others. In its simplest utilization, type dnsenum <domainname>. For greater essential alternatives like no-reverse type –h as a parameter.
Short for DNS reconnaissance, this device is also existing in Kali distro. Below is a screenshot of Dnsrecon in motion.
We will see that dnsrecon offers us a fine quantity of advice on area infosecinstitute.com. We will see record kinds like A, SOA, MX, NS, TXT and even SRV.
Dnstracer gives us a map of an entire request from end person computer to NS.
Here we have the tracing like
#end-consumer-computer# <—> #DNS server#<—> Google name server (ns (1|2|three|four).google.com)
During this section, we will cowl DNS constitution and packet Analyses the use of a really powerful device called Wireshark. A lot of you analyzing the article might already be generic with this tool because it is extremely accepted device specifically as a result of the vast protocol it supports and for a consumer-friendly interface.
So let’s take a glance on the complete DNS structure in here examples.
Under is a screenshot for a standard query and response packet in Wireshark. As that you could see below is a request for infosecinstitute.com for facts varieties: type A and kind AAAA which is effortlessly asking host’s ipv4 address and ipv6 tackle respectively.
Below is an entire DNS request format for listing type A
Crucial elements to observe listed here are:
• Earlier than DNS protocol word that UDP is used for supply port 54458 and vacation spot port 53.
• We are able to see the Response packet no for this question. In this case, it is 30. Also, notice the transaction id. It will fit in the response packet.
• Under Flags:
• The primary bit is set to 0 which skill it's a question. Bonus elements to you in case you can bet what might be set for query response (See under in the response section beneath)
• Subsequent, 4 bits are set to 0000 which means that it is a typical DNS query.
• The 8th bit is determined to 1 which means that recursive queries are enabled on our DNS server.
• 14th Bit is decided to 0 which capability it is going to settle for authenticated facts.
• Under Queries, which you can see that the request is made for http://www.infosecinstitute.com for checklist classification A in internet (IN) type.
Equivalent DNS query for record category AAAA beneath
Now let’s take a look on the response area. Below is a question response for an earlier query for checklist category A.
Crucial points to word within the response structure are:
• We will see the Request question packet no for this response. Transaction id is accurately matched to transaction id within Request question packet.
• Beneath Flags:
• The first bit is determined to 1 which potential that it is a DNS response packet.
• Recursive queries are enabled.
• There is not any error within the response question.
• Also, there is a few further statistics (name servers) found in the response.
• There are extra sections to Queries and answers which pertains to what was requested from DNS and what's the response. in this illustration, we now have queried IP address for http://www.infosecintitute.com and bought the reply: 107.one hundred seventy.21.171
• There are some authoritative identify servers additionally discovered for InfoSec institute.
• Below extra information, we can even see the IP handle of those authoritative nameservers.
Beneath is an identical response to request question for list class AAAA.
Ethical Hacking training – supplies (InfoSec)
Given that there could be a lot of data flowing throughout the monitored interface, we are able to use Wireshark filter capacity to automatically appreciate/reveal simplest DNS packets (in this case). Beneath is an interface to create a new filter under seize>Filters.
Click on + sign to create a brand new filter. Beneath is an example the place I created a DNS filter to filter traffic destined for port 53.
Word I didn't mention any protocol right here as a result of I are looking to see both UDP and TCP for port 53. As a reminder, TCP fifty three is used for zone switch (AXFR).
Now we can see the way to analyze zone switch in Wireshark.
Beneath is an instance of a zone transfer request to http://www.infosecinstitute.com. Look out for outcomes under
Due to the fact that zone switch occurs over TCP, so the primary three packets which you can see is the handshake process occurring. After a success handshake, a DNS regular query for record classification AXFR is made. Beneath is the request query.
Word the question category below queries part. Beneath is the response packet for this request question.
As that you could see that the reply code is 9 which potential DNS server is not authoritative to get zones from authoritative name servers which outcome in connection termination which we will within the under connection termination sequence of TCP packets.
DNS traffic evaluation adds loads of context all through the investigation, for instance, we are able to construct up symptoms of Compromise in line with DNS site visitors, we will discover DNS zone transfers and even an organization can study how plenty tips it has in fact revealed about itself. With these analysis consequences, DNS servers can also be hardened.in this article, we've also discovered that how taking a look at DNS information like AAAA, AA; DNS lookups (each ahead and reverse); Response Codes; Queries and solutions; Wireshark packet circulation feature can basically support to set the context for an investigation.